Friday, December 7, 2007

Santa and The Fairy Snow Queen (1951)

Santa and the Fairy Snow Queen

Made by Sid Davis' film company
Starring: I don't think any of the actors in this want to be associated with it.

Synopsis: Santa's elf/helper Snoopy over hears Santa inviting the Fairy Snow Queen over for a sugar cookie snack; or maybe a bootie call, it was the 50's they had to keep it clean. Snoopy the "I'm snorting coke off screen" Elf, guides the watcher or victim; whatever you feel like after watching this; to Santa's work shop to see what happens. When the Fairy Queen shows up he is asleep so she decides to be a hag and play a trick on him. She turns all the toys in his workshop into living beings. When the torture, err, fun is over the Fairy Snow hag tries to turn them back but they don't want to go. According to the Fairy Snow Douche Bag her magic only works on willing participants; if only the Bush administration's "magic" were limited in this way. Santa then scolds The Fairy Queen and lays a guilt trip as thick as a shag rug on the toys for being selfish. In the end the toys go back to being toys, the Fairy Snow Wrench learns a valuable lesson, and Snoopy snorts her Christmas bonus.

Review:

I read a few things about this film short prior doing this review; it was a holiday special that aired in the 50's. It's special alright!

Dear Lord! The film short was only 27 minutes long but I still prayed for it to end quickly. This is proof Ed Wood is not the worst director of all time. How in the world did this escape the movie lot? Better yet what movie executive gave the green light to this debacle?

Let me start with the narrator/host Snoopy, who is supposed to be an Elf in Santa's workshop. Yes, elves are supposed to be cute, friendly, energetic, and happy. Not overbearing, hard to watch, and generally annoying. I'm talking about Snoopy jumping all over everything, running around, and practically humping the floor. She reminded me of what my cat does when she's in heat, jumping around, rubbing up against everything and sticking her butt up at you if you pet her. I gotta say there must have been some good drugs on that set to keep the actors there.

The Fairy Snow Queen wasn't much better really. She made a sad, sad attempt to ballet dance elegantly, but failing miserably, around the small set that is suppose to be Santa's workshop. The typical Christmas toys were there a baby doll, a rag doll, a toy solider, a Victorian doll and a jack in the box. Amazingly enough the jack in the box was more annoying than Snoopy, I know hard to believe someone felt the need to out act poor Snoopy. Oh, and I forgot to mention Santa is a giant man, the only thing you see in the workshop shots is his big boot. The actor playing Santa was not filmed with any of the other actors. My guess is he was too creepy and none of the other actors wanted to go near him, or he didn't regularly bath; take your pick.

Along with some long lasting night terrors, there was a memorable line which I will carry with me always. It's when Santa is chastising the Fairy Snow Queen, he says "But they need to be changed back, something terrible could happen. They could get hurt or fall in love." That's right kids you heard it, Santa says love is a terrible thing.

There is one redeeming quality about this short film, TV special, train wreck; what ever you want to call it. It makes good MST3K material, if you are in a MST3K mood and you have Comcast Cable, you can find this gem under the free Something Weird segments.

6 comments:

Alex said...

On a crazy whim my kids and I decided to google this film just to see if anything came up. I cannot believe that there is someone else out there who knows about this obscure, ridiculous excuse for a film! We watch this movie every Christmas just so that we can laugh so hard that we cry. Just thinking about this movie makes me laugh. And then to read your review... I laughed out loud so hard that my husband came in from another room and said, "Are you laughing or crying?" "Both!" I said. Thank you for reviewing it... you just made my day!

Barrudaki-Thunderchick said...

You are welcome DJ glad to know there is someone out there who has also seen this short :). Considering the quality of movies that are going into remake status lately, this one might be on that list... shiver.

~Jaderade said...

I owned this movie on vhs, courtesy of the local Dollar General. I LOVED this video as a kid (I was born in '86, mind you..) and have been looking for it for years now. It's so terrible that I can't bring myself to turn it off! Thanks for the memories!

~Jaderade said...

I remember LOVING this video as a kid in the early '90's. I have been looking for another copy for years.. It is just so terrible, I can't make myself turn it off! Thanks for the memories. I am going to go and watch it again, just for kicks and giggles. :)

Nostalgic For Yesterday said...

I can trump ALL of you....I own a 16mm black and white (although originally filmed in color, and was available from Burbank Video)film print of this syndicated television special. Although I agree that the Jack-In-The-Box character is MORE than a little over the top, you must understand that the program was produced for the pre-school set. It was also just one of many specials that reflected the style of SOME of the programs produced for children in the 1950's. It is a fantasy produced for tots of another era, and when viewed in 2010 may appear slow-paced to those only familiar to currently produced television specials.

Barrudaki-Thunderchick said...

Oh Nostalgic, I do understand it is a product of its time. A lame product but a product non the less. I truly hope you do not find offense with this review or the comments made. As you can see this short is still very memorable to all who have seen it as kids or adults.

I do plan to review other shorts from the 50's. My girlfriend happened across a set of school instructional films from the 50's. I've seen a few already and am currently ramping up the reviews so stay tuned all. :)