Thursday, November 8, 2007

SCI Fi Channels Ghost Hunters - Sanatorium Live Results

Is it just me or has this show jumped the shark?

I caught the Sanatorium Live Results episode last night and I have to say it was a big departure from the first episodes aired. The reveal was nothing but reactions to things seen off camera. I understand it's hard to photograph or video tape hard cut evidence but please don't pass off people being freaked out as evidence of the paranormal. Let's face it there is already an atmosphere of uneasiness going into the place, people will get freaked out by seeing a mouse.

In the beginning, I remember Jason being a bit of a hard ass when it came to the evidence and wanting to declare a place haunted. I remember the team being less skittish and more logical about debunking things. I also recall Jason not allowing evidence that didn't show anything substantial. Showing someones reaction to something off camera is not evidence of anything but someone being startled by something explainable or by their own imagination.

Also, what was up with bringing a a wrestler on to the show? Are The Ghost Hunters going to start having "Guest Appearances" from B or C list celebrities? I did find it amusing to watch Elijah Burke scream like a girl and run away. I don't think he will be living that down anytime soon. But I did happen to notice something interesting on camera. Right before Elijah tweaked, it looked like Grant poked him in the side as a joke or maybe to give him a cue to get scared and run.

Are the days of seeing hard to debunk evidence gone from this show? Are they trying to hype up less active places or maybe cover up a bad place to investigate by filling the time with fluff? I'm not saying the Waverly place is or is not haunted and I can totally understand Jason and Grant not wanting egg on their face especially if they made a big deal about the investigation being live. Nobody wants to pull a Geraldo Rivera what's in Al Cappone's vault moment. But if you got nothing don't try to cover it up with a puppet show.

No comments: